Seihakuji Temple was established in 1333 by Takauji Ashikaga with Soseki Musō as the founder, and it was established as a Buddhist temple during the Muromachi period in 1415. The Buddhist temple was constructed in the new style that was passed on from China along with Zen Buddhism in the Kamakura period and it clearly shows the characteristics of Zen Buddhism. Most of the buildings in the grounds were destroyed by a fire in 1682, but only the Buddhist temple was saved from destruction and remains from the time of construction still exist even today. The Buddhist temple has a pent roof around the main structure, and it appears to have a double cypress bark roof that comprises of overlapping pieces of cypress bark, which is a masterpiece of Kanto Zen Buddhist construction. From the Kamakura to Muromachi periods, Zen Buddhist temples were constructed in every location, but they later fell into decline and very few still remain. This building is highly regarded as an example of the ancient style of Zen Buddhist temples.
It was once surrounded by paddy and mulberry fields, but they have been converted to vineyards and the temple now looks like it is floating on the vineyards.
Cultural assets designation ： National Treasure (structure)
Location ： Yamanashi City
Location Details ： 620 Sangasho Ymanashi City
Home Page ：http://seihakuji.com/